The Expert Negotiator Programme
All programmes available nationally on an in-house basis for clients. Minimum 12 Delegates Per Programme
Jack Quinlan & Associates developed this programme to cater for advanced negotiations. Programme content is based on internationally accepted standards. Both theory and technique have been tailored to suit our local situation as have all case studies and simulations. The programme has been thoroughly tried and tested on thousands of South African executives. This is widely considered to be the most successful negotiation skills programme in use in South Africa which is supported by outstanding executive level feedback from both our in-house client base, and the Gordon Institute of Business Science (University of Pretoria, Illovo, Johannesburg).
Target PopulationThis two and a half day programme is designed for Executives and Managers from all disciplines, who are involved in negotiation as an integral part of their responsibilities. Marketing managers, sales specialists, contract negotiators, financial managers, human resource specialists and general managers are ideal candidates for this programme.
CustomisationThis programme is designed to be customised for specific functional areas i.e. commercial/marketing. The customisation process can be extended to include company specific case studies.
Programme objectivesUpon completion of the programme delegates will be able to:
- Establish the appropriate climate for negotiation
- Differentiate between on-going/one-off/crisis negotiations and select the appropriate strategies
- Apply a structured approach in preparation for negotiations
- Formulate strategic agendas that work to your advantage
- Establish common ground, define the negotiation range, create overlap and finalise an agreement
- Avoid errors commonly made in negotiation
- Select appropriate negotiation tactics without damaging relationships
- Identify and interpret their negotiation style profile
- Neutralise aggressive negotiators
- Deal with a broad range of negotiation styles
Programme StructureSession 1: Negotiation Basics.
Session objective: To provide delegates with a working definition of negotiation and an appreciation that the outcome of a successful negotiation is influenced by the psychological climate which is established at the outset of negotiations.
- Decision making
- What is negotiation?
- Climate of negotiation
- Types of negotiation
- Strategic agenda options
- Negotiation phases
Session 2: Preparation and Bargaining
Session objective: To provide delegates with preparation systems that are flexible and usable in a variety of negotiations, and to create an appreciation of the fundamentals of sound bargaining practice.
- Preparation flow-chart
- Identification and ranking of issues
- Power base analysis/leverage
- Bargaining model
- Price negotiations
- Negoprep 4 Step Plan
- Formulating effective agendas
- Negoprep checklist
- Syndicate simulations
- Skills feedback session
Session 3: Human Dynamics in Negotiation
Session objective: To create an understanding of the dynamic process within groups and develop skills ensuring that the processes work for the negotiator. To create awareness that not all negotiating behaviour is verbal and to sensitize delegates to alternative negotiating styles.
- Team roles/functions
- Negotiation style assessment
- Non-functional group behaviour
- Neutralizing tough negotiators
- Dealing with different negotiation styles
- Deadlock alternatives
- Syndicate simulations
Session 4: Putting it all together
Session objective: To integrate the techniques and skills acquired and demonstrate competency within a real life situation.
- Case study (specific to candidate's negotiating arena)
- Individual/team feedback
- Characteristics of effective negotiators